2012 Kawasaki NINJA 250R
With its smooth power delivery, low seat height, and excellent value, the Ninja® 250 has all the vital elements to make it the perfect first sportbike. Powered by a compact liquid-cooled twin-cylinder engine, this Ninja sportbike pleases both ends of the experience spectrum — seasoned riders appreciate the Ninja’s extra highway passing power compared to other bikes in the 250 class, while beginners love the smooth torque delivery at lower speeds. With superior highway performance, aggressive supersport bodywork, and a price tag that packs serious value, the Ninja 250 is a perfect way to get started in a lifetime of motorcycling fun.
• 249cc parallel-twin liquid-cooled engine offers better highway passing power than competing models in the 250 class
• Low 30.5-inch seat height boosts new rider confidence
• Six-speed transmission offers wide selection of ratios to match varied riding conditions and its positive neutral finder makes it much easier to find neutral when stopped
• Genuine Ninja® styling matches the larger supersport models
• Petal-shaped disc brakes offer great sportbike looks and excellent braking performance
• 17-inch wheels allow use of modern sportbike tires
DOHC 249cc Parallel Twin-Cylinder Engine
• Compact parallel-twin design offers good mass centralization for superior handling
• Tuned to deliver smooth, step-free power with excellent mid-range and high-rpm power for effective highway performance
• Heavy duty piston rings help prevent oil consumption
• Ample high-rpm performance will please riders who wish to utilize the engine’s full potential
• Combustion chamber designed to maximize combustion efficiency and reduce emissions
• Intake and exhaust ports contribute to good off-idle response and smooth power delivery
• Valve timing and lift designed for strong low and mid-range torque
• Direct valve actuation helps ensure reliable high-rpm operability
• Valves feature thin heads and stems for reduced reciprocating weight and efficient flow
• Twin Keihin CVK30 carburetors offer a nice power feel and help provide low fuel consumption
Reduced Mechanical Noise
• Self-adjusting cam chain tensioner reduces mechanical noise caused by the cam chain and minimizes loss from power-robbing friction
• Minimizing mechanical noise allows the use of a freer flowing exhaust for better performance
• Complex construction with reinforcing ribs helps eliminate airbox reverberation and reduces intake noise
• Air filter accessible from the side, for easy replacement
• 2-into-1 system contributes to the Ninja 250’s low and mid-range torque and smooth, step-free power curve
• Slightly upswept silencer extensively tested to determine chamber size, connecting pipe length and diameter to achieve least noise and most power
• Meets strict emission standards with dual catalyzers; one in the collector pipe and the other in the silencer
• Using two catalyzers helps minimize power loss caused by backpressure in the exhaust system
• First catalyzer is positioned close to the exhaust ports for maximum efficiency
• Denso radiator offers effective engine cooling with minimal space and weight
• Ring fan uses a quiet-running motor that also saves space
• Fins on the lower side of the crankcase helps further cool the engine
• Involute splines reduce friction and backlash between gears and shafts for easier gear meshing and smooth shifting under power
• Spring-type clutch damper reduces hesitation at very low speeds and minimizes shocks when rolling on and off the throttle for a smoother clutch feel
• Paper-base friction plates help increase clutch durability
• Sturdy and durable diamond-style frame of thick-walled steel tubing offers confidence-inspiring stability at both high and low speeds
• Beefy swingarm bracket contributes to the frame’s rigidity and helps achieve an optimal balance of chassis stiffness
• Square-tube swingarm with a 60 x 30mm cross section further adds to rigidity
• 37mm telescopic front fork with firm settings contribute to the Ninja 250’s smooth, stable handling and enhanced ride control
• Uni-Trak® rear suspension helps provide predictable handling and good ride comfort
• Rear shock features 5-way adjustable preload, enabling ride height to be maintained whether riding solo or with a passenger
• Features 17-inch wheels like its larger Ninja siblings
• The use of proper sportbike tires contributes to its easy, neutral handling at low speeds and excellent cornering feel
• Large-diameter, 290mm front petal disc and a balanced action two-piston caliper offer excellent braking performance and a natural, direct feeling at the lever
• Two-piston caliper grips the rear 220mm petal disc
• Natural riding position with slightly forward-slanting seat and wide, raised handlebars
• Styling, fit and finish of striking full-fairing bodywork match its Ninja supersport siblings
• Aggressive dual-lamp headlight design, slim tail cowl and separate seats further enhance the supersport look
• Front cowling and windscreen offer the rider a substantial amount of wind protection
• Two helmet holders conveniently located under the rear seat
• Under-seat storage can hold a U-lock or similar device
• Two hooks under the tail and the rear passenger pegs provide anchor points for securing items to the rear of the bike
• Instrument panel features an easy-to-read, large-face analog speedometer along with an analog tachometer, odometer, trip meter, fuel gauge and warning lights
- Engine: Four-stroke, liquid-cooled, DOHC, parallel twin
- Displacement: 249 cc
- Bore x stroke: 62.0 x 41.2mm
- Compression ratio: 11.6:1
- Cooling: Liquid
- Carburetion: Keihin CVK30 x 2
- Ignition: TCBI with digital advance
- Transmission: Six-speed
- Final drive: O-ring chain
- Frame: Semi-double cradle, high-tensile steel
- Wheelbase: 55.1 in.
- Rake / trail: 26 deg. / 3.2 in.
- Front suspension / wheel travel: 37mm hydraulic telescopic fork / 4.7 in.
- Rear suspension / wheel travel: Bottom-link Uni-Trak® with 5-way adjustable preload / 5.1 in.
- Front tire: 110/70-17
- Rear tire: 130/70-17
- Front brake: Single 290mm hydraulic petal disc with two-piston caliper
- Rear brake: Single 220mm petal disc with two-piston caliper
- Overall length: 82.1 in.
- Overall width: 28.1 in.
- Overall height: 43.7 in.
- Seat height: 30.5 in.
- Curb weight: 374.9 lb.
- Fuel capacity: 4.8 gal.
- Color choices: Metallic Spark Black, Passion Red/Metallic Spark Black
- Warranty: 12 months
- Optional Good Times™ Protection Plan: 12, 24, 36 or 48 months
- Engine Type
- Four-stroke, DOHC, parallel twin
- Bore and Stroke
- 62.0 x 41.2mm
- Compression Ratio
- Fuel System
- Keihin CVK30 x 2
- TCBI with digital advance
- Front Suspension
- 37 mm hydraulic telescopic fork / 4.7 in.
- Rear Suspension
- Bottom-link Uni-Trak® with 5-way adjustable preload / 5.1 in.
- Front Brakes
- Single 290 mm hydraulic petal disc with two-piston caliper
- Rear Brakes
- Single 220 mm petal disc with two-piston caliper
- Front Tire
- Rear Tire
- 55.1 in.
- Seat Height
- 30.5 in.
- 26 deg.
- 3.2 in.
- Fuel Capacity
- 4.8 gal.
- Dry Weight
- Curb Weight: 374.9 lb.
- Final Drive
- O-ring chain
- Standard: Analog
- Standard: Analog
- Metallic Spark Black, Passion Red/Metallic Spark Black
- 12 months